Read more about the water of life:
- “Our Spiritual Need for Truth and Physical Need for Water” by Gretchen L. Keith (ages 7-14)
When water—pure, clean water—is mentioned in the Word, it symbolizes truth. This is because truth does similar things for the mind and spirit that water does for our physical body.
- “The True Water of Life” by Grant H. Odhner (ages 18 and up)
What is this “water of life” that is the promise and reality of the New Jerusalem? It is truth flowing from the Lord. These truths help us learn about the Lord and respond to Him as never before. The promise is that these truths can become living with us.
Quotes from the Word about water
- I will pour water on him who is thirsty (Isaiah 44:3).
- He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf also shall not wither, and whatever he does shall prosper. (Psalm 1:3)
- “Whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life” (John 4:14).
- Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone thirst, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water” (John 7:37-38).
- “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts” (Revelation 21:6).
- By “living waters” or “waters of life” are meant Divine truths from the Lord (Apocalypse Revealed 932:2).
- By “the pure river of water of life bright as crystal” is symbolized the Divine truth of the Word in abundance, translucent from its spiritual sense, which is in the light of heaven (Apocalypse Revealed 932).
- “To thirst” symbolizes to desire truths as in “I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts” (Rev. 21:6). To those who desire truths for any spiritual use, the Lord will give from Himself through the Word all which conduce to that use (see Apocalypse Revealed 956:2).
Projects and activities for various ages:
- The Pure River and the Tree of Life by Marguerite L. Acton
A color picture showing the river of water coming from the throne of God with the tree of life on either side.
- Painting the River of Life (ages 4-10)
Use felt tip pens to draw the river of life, then go over it with a wet paint brush.
- The Water of Life from the Throne of God Coloring Page by Robert G. Glenn
An intricate drawing of the water of life in a beautiful grove of trees.
- Living Waters of the Word (ages 7-14)
Use clay to make a well and put quotes from the Word in it. Or make a "fountain" with words from the gospel of John written along the streams of water.
- The Water of Life Coloring Page by Mary S. Cooper
Shows the water of life coming from the throne of God as well as the Tree of Life.
- For Reflection: Helen Keller Understands W-A-T-E-R (ages 15 and up)
It was water that first helped Helen understand the connection between words and things. She later described this as “an experience somewhat in the nature of revelation.”
- Whoever Drinks of the Water I Shall Give Him Take Home Cards (ages 7-14)
"Whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst…" from John 4:14. Is there a part of you that feels thirsty for a connection with the true idea from the Lord?
- Thirst for Your Truth Teen Prayers
“We ask You to satisfy our hunger for Your good and our thirst for Your truth.”
Sign up to receive notification when new highlights like this are published. Subscribe.