Read the parable of the talents in Matthew 25:14-30.
Ideas for Discussion
- What is a talent in the parable? (It is a weight measurement and refers to a large amount of money.)
- Who does the man (or master) symbolize? (the Lord)
- Who are meant by the servants? (people)
- What do the talents symbolize in this story? (The gifts that the Lord gives to us—especially goods and truths that we can use in our lives.)
- The good and faithful servants used their talents for trading and doubled them. What does this teach us about the importance and rewards of using what the Lord gives us?
- What is meant by burying the talent? (Knowing truths but not applying them to life.)
- How can we use our spiritual talents—good and truth—for trade? (One way might be to reflect on how we can apply truths in our lives and then share our ideas with others. We can share our ideas through discussion and also by modeling the application in our lives.)
Read more about…
- The Parable of the Talents by John Odhner
If we use our talents to make other people happy, we can share in the Lord’s happiness.
- Using Our Talents by Eric Carswell
The Lord has given a significant capability to each of us. Just as a talent was equivalent to thousands of denarii, we have thousands of opportunities to be an influence for good or for ill on those around us.
Projects and activities for all ages
- Dramatize the Parable of the Talents (ages 4-8)
Let children act out the story as you read the parable. Props may include silver “talents” and little sacks, a bathrobe for the master, and a pot of dirt to bury one of the talents.
- Prayers for Children: Using Our Talents
Help us to use the things we have learned and the talents we have to help other people.
- I Was Born to… (ages 9-14)
Complete this sentence by thinking about something you enjoy doing now or would like to do in the future.
- Identifying Your Talents (ages 10-17)
Making good use of His gifts is one of the ways that we can express our love for the Lord. But first we must discover and develop our unique gifts and abilities.
- The Parable of the Talents coloring page by Marguerite L. Acton
Illustration of the master talking with a servant who made good use of the talents.
- Using Our Talents (ages 8-12)
Use these 5 decorative “talents” to picture or write about ways you can use abilities that the Lord has given you.
- What Does the Parable of the Talents Mean? (teens)
An activity to help apply this parable to our lives.
Sign up to receive notification when new highlights like this are published. Subscribe.