- Read about the Nunc Licet Temple in True Christian Religion 508:1-3.
- Nunc Licet Temple – A Retelling of the Story (ages 3-12)
Ideas for discussion
- Emanuel Swedenborg saw a magnificent crystal temple. What was unusual about this temple? How does it compare to a church building where you worship or visited?
- The temple had two Latin words written above the door: “Nunc Licet.” The Latin inscription means “now it is permitted” and Swedenborg understood that this new revelation would make it possible for people to investigate the mysteries of faith (see True Christian Religion 508:5).
- This temple pictures a church in which a person can ask questions and find the answers in the Word. We are encouraged to read the Lord’s Word. “Read the Word and believe in the Lord, and you will see the truths which will be your guides to faith and life” (True Christian Religion 621:3).
- The Heavenly Doctrines help people explore spiritual truths that were hidden before and can also help us understand the deeper truths within the Old and New Testaments.
- The opening of the Word is a key part of a New Church worship service because it symbolizes wanting to learn about the Lord and His truths from His revelation.
- The vision of the Nunc Licet Temple is an invitation to all people to read the Word and seek to understand what the Lord is teaching us—to “enter with understanding” (True Christian Religion 508).
Read more about the Nunc Licet Temple
- “A Temple in Heaven” by Kurt Horigan Asplundh (ages 7-14)
This temple was full of light and there was a wonderful light coming from the open Word.
- “Nunc Licet: Now It Is Permitted” by Brian W. Keith (ages 7-14)
The temple is a vision of a church where people are encouraged to learn more about the Lord and how to love Him and others.
- “Spiritual Freedom” by Peter M. Buss, Sr.
With this new revelation, the Lord offers us the freedom to look at truth and see it for ourselves, and the freedom to find joy in discovering that what He has said is true.
Projects and activities for various ages:
- Nunc Licet Temple Collage (ages 4-9)
Make a beautiful collage of Swedenborg seeing this beautiful temple in heaven.
- Nunc Licet Temple Coloring Page
A lovely illustration of a temple in heaven, filled with a bright light.
- Nunc Licet Temple Decoration (ages 7-14)
Use as a table centerpiece, display above or beside the Word in your home or set it on top of a "birthday cake" to celebrate New Church Day.
- Nunc Licet Temple Poster by Marguerite L. Acton
A color picture of the beautiful temple seen in heaven.
- Nunc Licet Temple in Heaven Coloring Page by Donald Moorhead
Shows Emanuel Swedenborg or an angel approaching a temple in heaven.
- Nunc Licet Temple Project (ages 8-14)
Make a model of the temple that the Lord showed Swedenborg in heaven.
- Nunc Licet Temple with Word Coloring Page by Marguerite L. Acton
Shows details of the temple with the open Word and an angel standing inside.
- Mural of the Nunc Licet Temple (all ages)
Make a mural or large poster of the Nunc Licet Temple and the gardens around it.
Sign up to receive notification when new highlights like this are published. Subscribe.