Read and compare stories about the Lord healing people who were blind.
- Matthew 9:28-30 - The Lord healed two blind men who called out to Him.
- Mark 8:22-25 - The Lord healed a blind man from Bethsaida.
- Luke 18:35-43 - The Lord healed a blind man who cried out to Him.
- John 9: 1-11 – The Lord healed a man who had been blind from birth.
Ideas for discussion
- Who brought the blind person to the Lord to be healed: friends, the person himself, or did the Lord go to him?
- Did the Lord touch those whom He healed?
- Did He put anything on their eyes?
- Did He ask them any questions?
- Did He tell them to do anything to facilitate the healing?
- Some people are blind just like the man in our story. They can’t see with their eyes. But when they go to heaven, they will be able to see. The Lord will make them well again.
- The Lord wants all of us to be able to see the beautiful things around us but He also wants us to see with our minds. He wants us to see what is true and good. For then we can learn what heaven is like and how we can follow the Lord’s leading….
Read more about this story
- Blindness by Lorentz Soneson (ages 7-14)
The blindness spoken of in our lesson refers to an entirely different kind of vision. The Lord was speaking of a new light that comes only from heaven.
- The Lord Heals a Blind Man by Hugo Lj. Odhner (ages 5-8)
Did you know that in a way all of us are born blind? This is because there are different kinds of blindness.
- Healing Blindness by Brian W. Keith
Blindness exists with everyone. And the Lord constantly works to heal that blindness.
Projects and activities for all ages
- Dramatization of 4 Stories about the Lord Healing the Blind (ages 10-14)
Compare four stories about the Lord healing the blind by dramatizing them using the “Readers’ Theater” technique. Actors read lines from the script and act out their parts.
- Jesus Heals the Blind Man Coloring Page by Marguerite L. Acton
Shows the Lord healing the blind man by putting mud on his eyes.
- Healing His Blindness Coloring Page by Josephine Ellis
Color the illustration of the story in the gospel of John about the Lord healing the man who was born blind.
- The Lord Is the Miracle Worker Picture by Marguerite Acton
Lovely color illustration of the miracle described in John 9.
- Experiencing “Blindness” (ages 3-9)
Help children experience not being able to see by letting them take turns wearing a blindfold and trying to do various activities such as eating, putting on a coat, identifying some familiar objects by touching them, etc.
- Healing the Blind Man at Bethsaida Diorama
Make a shoebox diorama of the healing miracle at the Pool of Bethesda.
- A Mask and Script for Dramatizing Healing the Blind (ages 3-9)
Make a special mask and then dramatize the story in John 9 in which the Lord told the blind man to wash in the pool of Siloam. The mask covers the eyes with tissue that will disintegrate when it is wet.
- Put the Flower in the Garden (ages 3-8)
A game where each player tries to place a flower on a “garden” while blind-folded.
- By a Way They Did Not Know (for ages 3-7)
Two fun activities inspired by these words in Isaiah 42: “I will bring the blind by a way they did not know. I will lead them in paths they have not known. I will make the darkness light before them, and crooked places straight.”
- Writing with Invisible Ink (ages 7-11)
Heat or light make this ink visible, and it is spiritual light that helps us see what is true.
- Thought from the Eye (teens and up)
“What are some of the appearances that would blind you to reality if you relied solely on what you can see?
In healing the blind, the Lord made it possible for people to see their loved ones and the beauty of nature around them. Imagine how your world would open if you were blind and then could see! Then think about how wonderful the spiritual equivalent would be!
“I will bring the blind by a way they did not know;
I will lead them in paths they have not known.
I will make darkness light before them, and crooked places straight.”
Sign up to receive notification when new highlights like this are published. Subscribe.