Teachings in the Word
How do these passages from the Word help us appreciate the strength the Lord can give us through the truths of His Word?
- "The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in Him, and I am helped; therefore my heart greatly rejoices" (Psalm 28:7).
- "Oh, send out Your light and Your truth! Let them lead me" (Psalm 43:3).
- The Lord by means of Divine truth protects His own, for He surrounds them with a sphere of light (see Apocalypse Explained 395:2).
- Good and its affection do not protect themselves but are protected by truth and the understanding of it (see Apocalypse Explained 1121).
- People who are strong in truths are kept safe from harm wherever they go, even if they are in the midst of hell (see Arcana Coelestia 6769).
Learn more about the power of Divine truth:
- “The Power to Resist Temptation” by Norbert H. Rogers (ages 8-14)
How did the Lord fight temptations during His life on earth? In the gospel of Matthew we read that He answered His tempter with a truth from the Word. We, too, can use the power of the Word to help give us strength.
- “The Golden Heart Story” by Amena Pendleton Haines
This story tells of a man named Joel who was protected a beautiful golden heart as he made a difficult journey in the spiritual world. This story can help children appreciate how the Lord takes care of us all.
- “The Power of the Word” by Geoffrey S. Childs (ages 18 and up)
The Lord can show us the way out of our discontent to true happiness, because He is “the way, the truth, and the life.” But we need to turn to the Lord by reading and reflecting on His Word.
- “Getting Strength from the Word” by Kurt Horigan Asplundh (ages 18 and up)
How can we find strength from the Word and use it in our lives? One way is to read the Word with reverence and ask the Lord to help us understand what we are reading.
Projects and activities for all ages
- The Word of the Lord Coloring Page by Lisa S. Buss
Shows the Lord holding His Word as if inviting us all to read the stories and learn the truths.
- Protected by a Golden Heart (ages 10 and up)
Write one or more truths from the Word on a golden heart to help you remember that the Lord and His angels are always with you.
- Open Word Snowflake Pattern (ages 10-14)
Print, fold, and cut the pattern to make a beautiful paper snowflake of the open Word.
- For Reflection: Hell Is Like a Huge Lion
How does the Lord help us fight against evil?
- Teen Prayers for Strength from the Word (teens)
- Fighting from Truth? (ages 18 and up)
Explore ways truths from the Word can help us fight against evil, just as the Lord answered the devil with a quotation from the Word when the devil tried to tempt Him.
Sign up to receive notification when new highlights like this are published. Subscribe.