- The shepherds were watching over their sheep in the dark of night when an angel came to them. The shepherds may have had a fire burning to keep them warm, but its light was nothing compared to the light that enveloped them when the angel appeared.
- This light was a spiritual light, and it was desperately needed in the world. The heavenly light of truth no longer shone in people’s minds. Spiritual darkness can be present with us today as well. But if we look to the Lord in the truths of the Word, the glory of the Lord—heavenly light—can shine in our minds and dispel our spiritual darkness.
- Imagine what the shepherds saw when they hurried to see the baby Lord. Perhaps they saw bright light around the infant and Mary, His mother. They surely knew that this Child was like no other.
- As we prepare to celebrate the Lord’s birth, it may be helpful to think about why He came on earth. “To give light to those who sit in darkness and the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace (Luke 1:79).
Some resources relating to heavenly light:
- “The Glory of the Lord” by Lawson M. Smith
The glory of the Lord is like light, and this light comes to us through His Word.
- “Christmas Light” family talk by David R. Simons
This talk compares natural darkness with spiritual darkness, and explains why the Lord had to be born on earth to bring spiritual light to us.
- Shepherds with Flock at Night by Robert Glenn
Illustrates the light shining on the shepherds as the angel of the Lord appeared to them. Includes text from Luke 2:9.
- In a Manger by Robert Glenn
This striking illustration pictures Mary, Joseph, and the shepherds gathered around the manger and may be colored.
- Teen Prayers for the Christmas Season
Teen prayers for Christmas with a decorative border.
Using Light in Our Celebration of Christmas
How do you use light as you celebrate Christmas?
- Electric lights on a Christmas tree? Outdoor decorations?
- Advent candles or other candles that you light in the evenings?
- As we burn candles at Christmas time and decorate with lights, we can think of that special light that shone on the first Christmas.
Some resources relating to using light in our celebrations:
- “Christmas Candles” by Lorentz Soneson
A family article on how beautiful candles at Christmastime can remind us of the "glory of the Lord" that shone around the angel who appeared to the Shepherds on the first Christmas.
- Making and Using Candles (ages 7-up)
Here are several ways to make or decorate candles and a variety of suggestions for incorporating candlelight into your Christmas celebration.
- Cookie Cutter Candles
Put a wick in the middle of layers of beeswax cut into special shapes with cookie cutters.
As we enjoy the illumination of candles and lights during this Christmas season, let us think about the glory of the Lord and welcome the heavenly light shining through His Word.
Come and let us walk in the light of the Lord (Isaiah 2:5).
Sign up to receive notification when new highlights like this are published. Subscribe.