How do these passages from the Word help us see the importance of looking to the Lord in His Word?
- “The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life" (John 6:63).
- When the Word is read, the Lord comes in and teaches (Arcana Coelestia 6516:3).
- Everyone who, while reading the Word, approaches the Lord alone, and prays to Him, is enlightened in the Word (Doctrine of the Lord 2).
Consider also these ideas form “The Steps of Truth” by Harold Cranch:
- The Lord has given each one of us the ladder or stairway that goes up to heaven, with angels going up and coming down.
- This ladder is the Lord’s Word. As we learn truths from the Word it is as if we are taking steps up the ladder that leads to the Lord.
- As we learn the deeper meaning within the Word of God, we will be led to see the Lord Himself in it, teaching and leading us. For the Lord Himself is the Word.
Learn more about how the Lord teaches us
- A Deeper Meaning to the Bible by Peter M. Buss, Jr.
The Lord will enlighten us, if we approach the Word with awe at its holiness and if we seek to be led by Him to live the life that leads to heaven.
- The Wonder of the Lord’s Word by George de Charms
When we read the Word, we have to reflect on what we have read and try to live according to it. Only this will lead to our happiness, which is why the Word has been given.
- The Lord Gave Us the Word by Freda C. Bradin (ages 4-6)
This story illustrates the lyrics of a song written about the Word.
- Steps of Truth, an article by Harold Cranch (for teens and up)
The Lord has given each one of us the same thing that He showed Jacob in the dream. He has given each of us the ladder that goes up to heaven, on which there are angels going up and coming down.
- The Word by Prescott Rogers
The Word is the Lord because it is His Divine message to the human race. If a person wants to know the Lord and come to understand and appreciate Him, he must go to the Word, either directly (through reading) or indirectly (through listening).
Projects and activities for all ages
- What Truths Have Opened Your Eyes? (teens and up)
Reflect on the way that truths can open our eyes by thinking of some truths that have helped you in your life or by applying a truth to a hypothetical situation.
- The Word of the Lord Coloring Page by Lisa S. Buss
Shows the Lord holding His Word as if inviting us all to read the stories and learn the truths.
- What Is the Lord Trying to Tell You? (teens and up)
The Lord is speaking to us in His Word, guiding us in our lives and answering our sincere questions.
- Open Word Snowflake Pattern (ages 9 and up)
Print, fold, and cut the pattern to make a beautiful paper snowflake of the open Word.
- Reading the Word with an Open Mind and a Willing Heart
How can we become more open to the Lord’s teaching?
Sign up to receive notification when new highlights like this are published. Subscribe.