Read more about following the Lord:
- “Being Spiritual Fishermen” by David R. Simons
Why did the Lord choose fishermen to be His disciples? How can we follow in their footsteps and be spiritual fishermen?
- “Answering the Call to Discipleship” by Frederick M. Chapin
If we are faithful in performing what the Lord calls us to do, we can help bring the Lord to people.
- “I Have Chosen You” by Eric H. Carswell
Like the disciples who followed Jesus and learned from Him, so can we follow the Lord and grow from His presence in our lives through reading His Word and making it our guide.
Ideas for discussion
- The Lord has called all of us to be His disciples and follow Him. What do you think it means to follow the Lord?
- Jesus said, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free” (see John 8: 31-32). How can we learn what is true? (Read the Lord’s Word and make time to think about what He is trying to teach us. Just as the disciples sometimes misunderstood what the Lord was telling them, we can miss what the Lord is trying to tell us if we don’t make time to think about spiritual things.)
- What are some other ways we can look to the Lord and follow Him? (We can attend worship services, pray to the Lord, and try to obey His commandments.)
- “To follow the Lord” is to acknowledge, to obey, and to act and live from the Lord and with Him (Apocalypse Explained 864). What are some ways you can try to “live from the Lord and with Him?”
Projects and activities for various ages:
- I Will Walk Among You (ages 3-8)
Make a chain of paper dolls and tape it so that the people are standing in a circle. Then assemble the color picture of the Lord to put in the center of the circle.
- Following the Lord Mobile (ages 6-9)
Make a mobile to show that you, and your family and friends can all be His disciples.
- Walk in All His Ways (ages 5-10)
Find hidden "footprints" with quotes from the Lord's Word.
- Disciples of the Lord Bookmarks
Bookmarks to help you remember some of the keys to becoming a disciple of the Lord.
- Food for Thought: Discipleship (teens and up)
Read about discipleship and then answer the true-false questions as a springboard for discussion.
- The Truth Shall Make You Free (teens and up)
Will truth make us free whether or not we are following the Lord?
- Prayers for Teens on being True Disciples of the Lord
These prayers about looking to the Lord are enhanced with a lovely color illustration.
- Your Right Hand Upholds Me Journal Page
The Lord gives us His laws and helps us follow them. Read excerpts from Psalm 63 and reflect on times that the Lord has helped you.
It is when we commit our lives to the Lord’s truths that we become His disciples and begin to experience the true freedom that can only come from following Him.
O God, You are my God; early will I seek You; because Your lovingkindness is better than life, I will lift up my hands in Your name. And my mouth shall praise You with joyful lips. Because You have been my help, therefore in the shadow of Your wings I will rejoice. My soul follows close behind You; Your right hand upholds Me. (Psalm 63: 1, 3-5, 7-8)
Sign up to receive notification when new highlights like this are published. Subscribe.